If you’re from the tech industry, you probably already know how important an ETL Developer is. Without ETL developers, your data would be homeless. What does that even mean?
ETL is short for Extract, Transform and Load. ETL developers design a data storage system and move data from various sources to this data warehouse. This should give you an idea about why recruiting the right ETL developers is crucial for your business.
For you to hire the right ETL developer for your business, you need to understand their roles and responsibilities. Let’s get to the specifics in order for you to understand what’s best for your company. Before that, let’s expand E-T-L and understand each of the terms.
What is an ETL Developer?
An ETL developer carries out some of the most crucial tasks in a business. That’s why they are part of the business intelligence team (the one that designs and builds data applications and also manages the underlying infrastructure).
Before we get into the specifics, let’s know what ETL stands for.
This is the starting point of extracting data from source systems like SQL servers, spreadsheets, text files, etc. After extraction, the data enters the staging area where it can be validated before moving into the storage systems.
The extracted data is raw and needs to be filtered and mapped before it gets into the data warehouse. At this stage data goes through cleaning and standardization.
This is the last stage. Here the standardized data is loaded into the data warehouse. This might sound like the easiest stage but is actually tough because a large volume of data needs to be loaded in a short period of time. Load verification is done before the process to ensure smooth loading.
The entire process is more complicated than it seems. It isn’t just about copying and pasting data. A good ETL developer knows that supervising and securing the whole process is very important.
What Does an ETL Developer Do?
An ETL developer is responsible for designing data storage systems and work through the entire process of extracting, transforming and loading data into these warehouses.
ETL developers are also responsible for troubleshooting and testing the data before it goes live.
What are the Roles and Responsibilities of an ETL Developer?
An ETL developer is an important part of your business as they manage and store sensitive data. Here’s what you can expect an ETL developer to do.
- Uses various data concepts to build a data warehouse that will be appropriate for internal teams and departments.
- Creates data solutions and is responsible for cleaning, standardizing and managing large volumes of data.
- Maintains high data quality standards.
- Maps data in order to gauge the requirements and comes up with relevant data storage solutions.
- Develops and automates complex apps that can extract, transform and load data efficiently.
You need to hire an ETL developer who goes above coding and data system building knowledge. They must also have crisp analytical skills in order to create the right solutions for data management.
ETL Developer Skills and Qualifications
If you want to hire the best ETL developer, it is essential to look at some of their most important skills.
1. ETL Developer Software Knowledge
- NoSQL Data experience
- Dimensional Modeling knowledge
- MDX, SSAS and OLAP knowledge and experience
- SQL/PL server development knowledge and experience
- .NET and Java experience
- SSIS experience
- Spark, Hive, Hbase, HDFS, Sqoop experience – Hadoop components
- Erwin, Embarcadero and Toad Data Modeller experience – Modeling tools
When looking for an ETL developer, look for at least 2 years of experience; experience with ETL tools is mandatory. Besides software knowledge, educational background and personal attributes also play a huge role when hiring any employee for your business.
2. ETL Developer Educational Background
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or software engineering
- Industry related knowledge. For example, if you’re a bank, the ETL developer you hire must have knowledge of how financial institutions function in order to come up with the right data storage solutions.
- ETL/BI training or certification is a big plus.
3. ETL Developer Personal Attributes
- Experience working with businesses. This would mean that the ETL developer has experience in managing large volumes of data.
- Flexibility to learn and unlearn. This would be necessary for new techniques to be implemented.
- Capability of working in teams. This would make them more open to ideas.
- Project management skills.
- Problem solving and crisis management skills.
- Good communication skills. These would help with internal team coordination and makes work easier.
- Detail oriented mindset. Since ETL developers work on multiple and complex systems at the same time, they would need to be able to focus on each one properly.
Where Can You Find the Right ETL Developer for Your Business?
Now that you’ve read about how important an ETL developer is for your business, you need to find the one who fits your requirements. Remote ETL developers are a great option because you save a lot of money and time while allowing you to choose from among the best global talent. There are multiple platforms that offer you resumes of ETL developers. Having said that, it’s important to understand that for a position as crucial as this, you can’t just pick up a resume and determine the right choice.
That’s why it is essential that you go for a remote ETL developer recruitment specialist that is familiar with the necessary skills and knows which interview questions to ask when screening for the best ETL developer for your business. At DistantJob, we are experts who can find the best fit for you and can ensure that your data will not only be in safe hands but also taken care of efficiently. This leaves you the time to focus on other important aspects of your business. Let’s grow together!