- A person who solves problems you can't.
- One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.
- Like a normal tech support but much cooler.
See also: wizard, magician
We're looking for a Level 1 Magician Technician to join our client's team – they're a leading Managed Services Provider from North America and one of the best in their field. They have a small, highly efficient team, and have a strong client retention rate because they work hard to partner up with their clients to ensure their business runs smoothly and their IT needs are taken care of.
You’ll spend most of your time dealing with things like offline alerts on servers, backup failures, and deal with any tickets that get assigned to you via the Autotask system. A strong understanding of systems and networking will allow you to navigate the issues and find solutions: a good grasp of the OSI model, TCP/IP stack, and basic tools will get you far. If you have a curious and analytical mind, you'll surely have no problem in connecting the dots and solving puzzles – as you know, issues are never the same and solutions are not universal!
What you will be working on:
- Identifying virtual drives, and restarting services if there’s a need.
- Managing two systems alerts queues
- Prioritizing impactful issues over less severe ones
- Correlating systems or network issues from other tickets with the backup alerts
- Working with Windows server logs and backup product logs analysis
- Troubleshooting OS and TCP/IP stacks in correlation with backup log error messages
- Troubleshooting network errors that cause offsite replication issues
- Managing internal and external communications to link possible operations with backup issues and keep clients informed
- Previous experience as a helpdesk technician
- Practical experience is enough, but if you have relevant certifications that’s a big plus.
- To know your way around backup software like Datto, Storage Craft, Shadow Protect and Windows Server.
- Good understanding of remote management tools
- Strong grasp of OS and TCP/IP stacks and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of network protocols, firewalls, and troubleshooting network errors
You’ll be using:
- Autotask for ticketing
- Kaseya for remote management.
- Mostly Microsoft Servers, with the occasional VMWare or HyperV thrown in
- Office 365
- Backup tools like Datto, Veeam, StorageCraft, Shadow Protect
Sound good? If you think this role is what you’re looking for, and you know that deep down you're really a wizard, then get in touch today.